Re: Can't stat

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Marc D. Williams wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 01:02:04AM +0200, Nerijus wrote:
> >
> > When I choose Open in any siag program, I get
> >
> > Alert
> > Can't stat /home/nerijus/.#.Xmodmap
> >
> Check your .xinitrc or .xsession file to see if there's a typo
> or something. It should be .Xmodmap instead of .#.Xmodmap.
> Either that or there's a typo in some siag code somewhere?

No typo, it means exactly what it says. The message comes from this code
snippet in xcommon/filesel.c:

8<------
        while ((dire = readdir(dird))) {
                 sprintf(fn, "%s/%s", path, dire->d_name);
                 if ((stat(fn, &buf))) {
                         fprintf(stderr, "Can't stat %s\n", fn);
                         continue;
                 }
8<------

The message is harmless, it just means that it can't get status
information for that file. Figuring out the reason is left as an exercise
for the reader. ;-) Educated guesses include:

 - permissions
 - links to nowhere

Ulric