Re: image plugin and SuseLinux binaries

On Sat, 1 May 1999 cramos@openway.com.co wrote:

> Hi all!
> First, Kudos to the guy that made the SuseLinux binaries! They work in my
> Slackware box also! Great because I had despaired of compiling usable binaries.
>
> Second, I'm baffled with the image plugin. I invoke it with the name of the
> image (Menu->Plugin->Import->[file selector]==>image name) and sure it gets
> converted (I've verified this invoking the plugin on command line) but nothing
> gets displayed. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Nothing, as far as I can see. If this command does anything useful for
you:

/usr/local/libexec/siag/plugins/image -plugin -geometry +4000+4000 \
	/home/ulric/siag/common/bitmaps/egon_fg.gif

(substitute your own path to the image)

then you should get this reply on the command line:

220 Image plugin

Then type WIN followed by QUIT to get

WIN
250 8800003
QUIT
221 Over and out

The only thing that has changed recently is the -plugin argument to image,
to make it act as a plugin rather than a standalone image viewer. This
means that the plugin configuration must be updated. It probably lives in
/usr/local/share/siag/plugins/plugins.scm.

> Third, things like xterm and chimera aren't swallowed when being invoked as
> plugins. Any way to fix this?

Those are handled by the dummy plugin, which expects to find the
application's toplevel window by searching for its name. Simple programs
like xeyes which don't change their own title can be imported by typing
xeyes.run in the file selector box. Others need to be configured in
dummy.scm.

Xterm should work, I'm not sure about Chimera. Check if xterm displays
"xterm" as window title or something else (can be caused by X resources
set in .Xdefaults, for example).

Controlling stuff with the dummy plugin is a bit like making things jump
by poking them, blindfolded, with a very long stick.

Ulric